Monday, April 4, 2011

sooner or later it's over. i just don't want to miss you tonight

The first text message came less than 12 hours after he left me. "i'm sorry. i hope you don't hate me." Then 10 hours later, "you're never gonna speak to me again are you?" I resisted answering him for 2 days. Then in a fit of anger I let him have it. I flung every angry thought I had at him; called him a liar and thief. Told him he was weak. Told him to leave me alone. I didn't care about I'm Sorry, I didn't want to hear it any of it. He left me alone for 4 days. Then the "I miss you so much" started. I pictured him alone in his pitiful life at 2:25am sending me that message and I felt good. Of course he missed me. He has nothing. I had been on 2 dates, had a rebound fling with an old friend, lost 10 lbs and drank over tears with my amazing girlfriends since he left me. The "I miss you's" continued. I continued to ignore him. I would answer every 3 days or so. Tell him to leave me alone. Remind him that he left me. I miss you means nothing to me. Nothing had changed. The distance will always be there. We will not be friends. We will not speak. These are all the same things I told him when he broke up with me. I guess actions speak louder... which is what he needed to prove to me. He begged to come see me. I said no. We fought. For what? We were no longer together. What is there to fight about? I told him that. I spent weeks telling him to leave me alone, during which I got over him. I went dancing with my girlfriends. I stopped crying. I slowly was getting back to my normal single life.
He begged to see me again. I relented and he didn't show up. Got too busy at work, something with the kids... whatever. That was it. The next day I told him I'm completely done. Don't want to see him, don't want to hear what he has to say, once and for all leave me alone. He showed up that night with his tail between his legs. Tried to hug me at the door. No. Tried to sit close to me on the couch. No. Begged me for another chance. Asked if we can start over. I shook my head before the words were out of his mouth. He tried to kiss me. I pulled away. He said he loved me and asked me to say it back. No. I listened to his excuses about why he had ended it; he quit tobacco and it made him depressed, made it seem impossible to be together. He was having problems with his kids, money, hates the place he lives, hates work, etc. As I listened he realized what he was saying was bullshit that had nothing to do with me. What would be different if we got back together? He doesn't know. He would have to work it out. The distance doesn't change but he can change how he feels about it... He said the things guys say; "I didn't realize that when we broke up you wouldn't speak to me anymore. I miss you so much. I need you in my life. I thought it would be easier if we broke up, I would only hurt for a little while and then get better.. but it got harder. I miss you. I love you. etc etc etc". I listened. He had tears. I hid a few. I wouldn't say my cold shell of anger completely melted but I did let him kiss me.
We spent the day together this weekend. He has been texting me and calling me. I respond if I feel like it. The dynamic has completely changed between us. He needs me. I don't need him at all. He has something to prove. I could take or leave him. He had been asking to see me again. This weekend he asked if he could make me dinner. He rushed around to get indredients, texted me all day "Do you like asparagus?? Do you want mashed or roasted potatoes?" He got his haircut and bought a new shirt. He made me cornish game hen with a mushroom cream sauce. He asked if I liked it no less than 5 times. After dinner we put on a movie. He kissed me and I let him. We spent the night together. It was nothing like before. I felt like I was with any other guy. The love is gone.
In the morning he made me homemade biscuits with sausage gravy and scrambled eggs. He fussed over keeping my coffee cup full. We went for a drive, went for a lazy walk around the park and talked. He wants to be together. I don't. I'm not blinded by infatuation. I see every flaw. He went from being everything I thought I needed in life to be happy to just a regular guy that's too far away.
I have no poker face. He knows I'm over it. I cried when we said goodbye. I've only ever done that one other time and it was because I knew I would never see him again. He broke up with me a week after that. Time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment