Monday, October 19, 2009

it's all smoke and mirrors


A word on appearance: it takes work to attract the stinkier sex. Although I have occasionally been picked up in sweats, a t-shirt and no makeup, I always feel most confidant with my game face on. And nothing is sexier to a guy than confidence. Men are visual creatures that walk around with sex on the brain 24/7. Work what your mama gave ya, play up your ASSets, downplay your not-so-good bits and work subtle sexy innuendo into your appearance.

LIPS: should be wet and glossy at all times. Lick them, nibble them, rub your fingertips across them when talking to a guy you dig. All he'll be thinking about is smoochin on em. Nobody is going to want to kiss a pair of lips that look like a cracked sidewalk so get your gloss on STAT. If you're a low maintenance kinda gal regular old vaseline or chap stick work wonderfully. I'm a gloss girl myself because a guy is more likely to kiss you if he isn't thinking about sticky smeary lipstick getting all over him. Assuming he's gotten that close, I sincerely hope you've addressed any unwanted facial hair and breath issues previously. It's also nice to slick on a gloss that has a nice subtle flavor - I'm a huge fan of Philosophy's line, especially the Coconut Frosting mmmmmmm.

EYES: here's where you can really have some fun. For an evening date I love a smoky eye, but try something other than basic black which can appear a bit goth and harsh. I often will take a favorite eye shadow in purple or brown, wet a liner brush and outline my lids in that blending just a bit so the line isn't too dramatic. One of the best makeup tricks I've ever learned is to dab a fingertip of white eyeshadow in the inside corners of your eyes - they instantly look brighter and more alert. Eyelashes can make or break your face and I take mine very seriously. I use BLACK BLACK BLACK mascara and always put on two coats, top lashes and bottom. Lately I've been using Maybelline The Collosal VolumExpress in Glam Black. It's a rich glossy black formula and the fat brush really encircles and coats your lashes. Love it. I also like Benefit's BadGal Lash but it's about 3x the cost so.... for a chick on a budget Maybelline is the way to go.
I also LOVE the Almay Bright Eyes collection of mascaras because they come in funky shades of Plum and Sapphire which are a subtle way to accentuate your peepers. Check them out too.

SKIN: clean and moisturize. It's as simple as that. I wash my face twice a day with regular old soap or face wash if I'm feeling fancy, but I slather (and I do mean SLATHER) my face and neck with lotion immediately out of the shower with particular attention to my eyes and forehead. It's a process to find a moisturizer that really sinks into your skin without clogging pores or feeling greasy and you may have to take some time experimenting with it to find the right balance. I find that I have to change the formulas I use seasonally as well, but I have a few tried and true favorites on hand at all times. If your skin is clean and happy, you won't need much coverup or foundation. I like to dab a bit of coverup under my eyes and across my nose to help with dark circles. Right now I'm loving Calvin Klein's Infinite Matte Makeup which I picked up at Sephora on sale. I highly recommend it - great coverage but not greasy or cakey at all.

HAIR: should always be clean, touchable and soft. Do not coat your hair with a bunch of sticky crunchy crap - no one wants to touch that and it looks like a hot mess. Who do men fantasize about? Victoria's Secret models. You need Victoria's Secret hair. That means long, flowing, just-rolled-around-in-bed-for-hours kind of hair. If it's too straight curl it a bit. If it's too curly relax it a bit. But keep the gunk out of it.

Ok that covers it. There are all my secrets. Put on some fabulous outfit that makes you feel like a goddess, spritz your pulse points with your sultriest perfume and you're ready to reel in some hapless men. :*

No comments:

Post a Comment